Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Late Night Programming

Because I had to finish an assignment and can't sleep, I am now forced to watch very late night TV programming in order to keep myself awake. One show in particular I watch whenever this ends up happening, even though the entire premise of it bothers me. And what is this show, you ask?For those who don't know, this show takes ordinary people who are deeply unhappy with their physical appearance and carts them off to Hollywood (the irony that Hollywood is the looks-obsessed capital of the world is not lost) for a period of two to three months. While there, they undergo various surgeries (some of them go through so many surgeries I'm surprised they didn't just outfit them with a new body, fresh out of the packaging from Mattel), intense physical training, rigid dieting and complete hair, makeup and wardrobe overhauls. Then, they are flown back home and have a "BIG REVEAL!!!" in front of all their families and friends, of which there are always one or two that cry/scream/fall over. It's similar to the show The Swan.

For me, I am torn between understanding the allure of plastic surgery - because I would like some for myself - and believing that it should be only be used to correct birth defects (such as cleft-palate) and suchlike. Half of me fully believes that you are born with the body that God gave you and shouldn't change it - instead you should learn to accept and love your body, "warts and all" (when I'm not feeling quite so eloquent, it can be summed up as "Suck it up, princess") . The other half - the vain, selfish, materialistic half - totally understands the self-confidence issues that comes with not feeling attractive and the easy appeal/allure of 'fixing' it with plastic surgery.

Then why does this show bother me so much, exactly?

I've been reflecting on this for awhile now (many assignments to do lately), and I think I've pinpointed the reasons:

  1. Deep down, I really DO believe plastic surgery should only be used for correcting birth defects, or things like breast reconstruction after surviving cancer, or after losing a major amount of weight (100 pounds or more). This was hard for me to actually admit to myself, because now it means I can't actually indulge in the process. But ultimately, your body is what you were given; we should all just learn to accept it and love it for what it is. I think we'd all be much happier as a society if we just took one iota of the energy we spend hating ourselves and turned it into loving ourselves instead.


  2. If every single contestant didn't end up looking EXACTLY the same at the end of the episode. It's quite disconcerting to see them at their big reveal and they have shiny white teeth, layered, long, perfectly coiffed hair, a golden tan, and a fancy dress or suit (along with a new body, but that goes without saying). By doing this, they paint such a rigid ideal of beauty, as if to say this is the only acceptable form beauty can attain. It's subtle, but after a while you get the feeling they are just rolling out yet another cookie-cutter copy. For example, this episode they took a reasonably attractive, totally unique looking goth girl and turned her into yet another clone. Soon, there won't be any individuality left in this world, if Extreme Makeover has any say in the matter!

  3. The techniques used - specifically the physical training and diet part - are highly unrealistic regimes to maintain over any period of time. Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I really do feel that they are duping these people into believing they can keep the weight they lost off for any amount of time once they go back to their regular old lives. And the fact that they don't do any follow-ups makes me wonder how people look six months, a year, two years, after their surgeries.


  4. The reactions of the friends and family at the end of the episode. Especially if the person who underwent the makeover has a significant other. They always exclaim, "SHE'S SO GORGEOUS!!!" (or something to that effect). Excuse me, but weren't they just as beautiful in your eyes before this? It seems as though their love for their partner has grown somehow because their partner has become more physically attractive. In fact, some of the comments made are so insensitive with regards to the way they looked before, which brings me to my next point:


  5. The way the show feeds into the huge obsession that America has with physical attractiveness. As if, because you weren't born with a cute little nose or perfect skin, you are worth less as a person. Actually, it doesn't just feed it, Extreme Makeover practically starts, stokes and maintains the fire that is this obsession. And, just once, I would love to see a show that recognizes and (GASP!) celebrates the fact that people aren't perfect and beauty can be found in the most unlikely of places, and that place isn't at the end of a surgeon's knife.
Your thoughts?

7 comments:

Rachael said...

interesting. very interesting. you make some good points--i especially like your thoughts on our ideals of attractiveness and the loss of one's own unique identity through excessive conformation to said ideal.

Heather said...

Oh so much to say on this topic lol. For a start I really love watching that show if I find it on but dont specifically set out to watch it. What I do like is that in Australia it is late night viewing (10:30pm I think?) which I think helps as it doesnt expose such extremes of surgery to children.

I dont think anyone has the right to decide what is the right or wrong situation to have plastic surgery, it's just too personal of a choice. So with that in mind, I believe that as long as the people on that show agree and are not being forced (though we couldnt possibly know that), then there is nothing wrong with it. They applied for the show, and I assume they watched it a few times before applying so if they end up as another clone then supposedly that would have been their desire to begin with?

Having said that, their methods are TOO extreme in my mind. Ok so the occasional person goes on that REALLY needs new teeth and that'd make a phenominal change in their life. But I'm willing to bet that if they just gave them the mini-makeover (hair, clothes etc) and the new teeth, they'd be thrilled with the change?!

For myself personally, It's not something I'd really consider unless it was for the sake of my health. I am me and I am loved, chubby body and excess skin included!

sarah said...

Rachael - thank you :)

Heather: yeah, I understand where you're coming from with the whole personal choice issue, I was just saying for me that overly done, unnessecary plastic surgery bothers me (ergo pretty much the whole premise of the show does:P).
And I know its their choice to end up looking like a clone, but ARRRGH. Like Rachael mentioned briefly - why do we feel such a strong urge to lose our uniqueness in order to conform to a beauty ideal which is practically impossible? Sometimes they show up at the big reveal and they look like a COMPLETLEY different person! Which makes me wonder if the show sets up some kind of counselling service afterwards, I mean, to go through 20+ years of looking a certain way and in 3 months they look SO different - it must be really hard to adjust and cope with for some?

Anonymous said...

A prime example of unrealistic beauty which is held up in front of us to try and confirm to comes from magazines. Below is a link to a magazine cover featuring country super singing star Faith Hill and the before and after photoshopping of her photo. Even Faith Hill herself doesn't meet the idealisation of beauty she is supposed to. No wonder teenage girls, so impressionable and vulnerable, can end up so damaged.

http://pandagon.net/2007/07/16/more-on-how-photoshopping-is-subtly-destroying-our-minds/

Heather said...

Have you seen the dove commercial where they take a model and show the process of transforming her into a stunning beauty on a billboard, in fast forward?

sarah said...

Anon: Thats incredible....and scary!

Heather: No I haven't, what is it?

Heather said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHqzlxGGJFo