Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bumbling around the kitchen

So while 'experimenting' (more like throwing together what I had left) in the kitchen, I stumbled upon this really yummy meal - it's cheap, super filling, really simple to throw together, easy on the dishes and takes almost no time to prepare (it's also semi - healthyish! Well, kindof. Healthier than Ramen Noodles or Kraft Dinner with hotdogs, anyway). In short, it's a perfect meal for anyone (particularly a student) who's strapped for time, cash and hates doing dishes. ;)

- Heat a large non-stick frying pan, melt butter to grease it (I put butter because I've been told all my life that it's healthier than oil).
- Take one medium-to-large potato, wash, and slice really thinly. Toss into frying pan.
- I put a couple of shakes of garlic powder, just because I really, really like it.
- Put cheddar-and-potato (you could use another type, cheddar-and-potato is just my favourite) perogies in a medium-sized bowl, cover with water and pop in the microwave for five minutes (for 10). Adjust time for amount of perogies used. They should be easy to insert a fork into the middle when they're done.
- Cook potatoes until they're easy to get a fork into and nearly opaque. Turn often.
- Take a bag of mixed frozen veggies and put a good amount into the pan.
- When the perogies are done, put them into the frying pan as well.
- Fry all together for about five minutes.
- Empty the bowl of water, and empty the frying pan into the bowl.
- Season with salt, and I put a little Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise ontop and mix it in. It really gives it flavour and that extra little something.

Yum! I could live off this dish indefinitely. In fact, I have a bowl of it waiting for me right beside me, getting cold. See ya!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds uber yummy! Might just have to try that, thanks :)

Heather said...

What is a perogie lol?

Potatoes are great for student life. I used to do one with butter, garlic, mixed herbs, potatoes, carrots, sweet potato, onions and other sliceable vegies and cook it together in the oven (would prob work in the microwave too). Or you can do all those in a cheese sauce (which you can make in the microwave). Me loves spuds!

sarah said...

Pierogi are semi-circular dumplings of unleavened dough, stuffed with cheese, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, cabbage, onion, meat, mushrooms, hard-boiled eggs, dry cottage cheese (the last two are rather Mennonite-specific), or any combination thereof, or with a fruit filling like blueberry. Mashed potatoes with dry cottage cheese, onion and pepper are the most common filling.

affirmedreality said...

I want some of that... I love perogies and potatoes.