Tuesday, May 4, 2010

#1 Rule

While my surgery date is still a bit away (2 months 2 weeks 2 days!!), I'm trying to incorporate certain habits that I'll have to do 100% post-op. One of the hardest things I'm doing is incorporating the no drinking rule : for 30 minutes before a meal and at least 45 minutes after, I am not allowed to drink any liquids. If I do, I totally override what my pouch is supposed to do - which is to remain full long enough so that the nerve endings in that part of the stomach have a chance to send repeated signals to the brain that it's full.

See this impressive video for why this is so incredibly important for WLS patients to not drink before, during, or after meals:



I know for myself it's going to take a lot of mental awareness to get myself used to not drinking with my meals and I might have to forgo the pepper for awhile, but oh man, it's so worth it after watching this!

1 comment:

Jess said...

Amazing video! I have never seen a visual representation of this before but it is such a good reminder! You'll get used to the no drinking thing... though I will admit to having the occasional sip if the food is really spicy! But I tend not to like spicy food that much in general so it works out well.