Sunday, October 7, 2007

Best. Book. Ever.

"Oh no," said Milo seriously. "In my family we all start on the ground and grow up, and we never know how far until we actually get there."

"What a silly system." The boy laughed. "Then your head keeps changing its height and you always see things in a different way?
Why, when you're fifteen things won't look at all the way they did when you were
ten, and at twenty everything will change again."

- The Phantom Tollbooth, Norton Juster.

Oh, I adore this book to bits. I re-read it last night for the first time in a quite a while and, oh, just so amazing. Really. My favourite quote (and there's so many gems to choose from) is the one above. Even though it was published in 1961, and it's technically a child's book, it still - perhaps, even more so - applies and serves as a commentary on what our society has become now. I think I should somehow acquire a copy and read it once a week to remind myself of the many demons of Ignorance, and to always let Rhyme & Reason shine through, while I'm trying to build a kingdom of Wisdom, not live on the island of Conclusions (you get there by jumping, you know)!

No comments: