Friday, November 23, 2007

Did someone call a taxi?

Today was weird.

Less said the better about it, I think.

Although one antedote I'd thought I'd share with you all;

Skittles and I called for a cab and then were waiting outside (it was disgusting outside - cold and windy and snowing all day) for it; a cab pulled up after 10-15 minutes and it wasn't the one we ordered, but he said that he could take us anyway. So we get into the cab, and he asks us to do a favour - basically call dispatch and order another cab for the original address that he was assigned to. Which I thought was an incredibly nice thing to do - cab drivers around here are usually really rude, pushy and cutthroat, always looking for the better fare or not really caring who they screw over. They fight alot amongst themselves, even if they work for the same company. And they're 95% immigrants, so their English isn't great. But anyway, back to my story.

So he asks us to do that for him - and of course we say yes, so Skittles calls dispatch and asks for a cab to such and such address. Then the dispatch asked for the phone number from which we were calling from - and Skittles just said "It's a payphone" (which is what the cab driver said to say). Guess what the dispatcher said back?

"How can you be calling from a payphone inside your house?"- and Skittles politely stated that "No, I'm calling from a payphone and I want to be picked up at this address, which is inside."

She. Hung. Up. On. Him.

WTF?? Um, hello, rude much? Not to mention it's absolutely NONE of her business where the hell he's calling from or anything! AND it's totally unprofessional as well, don't you think? That little incident just blew my mind today. That someone could be that....just so unprofessional and really just plain rude while dealing with a customer about something so trivial!!

Normally I don't bitch about people in the service industry (okay, so it's a bit of a stretch to include taxi dispatchers, but for the purpose of this entry, I'm including her) but WOW. I'm still shaking my head over it hours later. I actually considered switching cab companies for awhile afterwards (I'm very brand-loyal, for most things; I use this company exclusively for my cabbing around, but this really gave me pause!).

Am I justified in feeling this way? What do you guys think about it?

No comments: