Tuesday, November 4, 2008

NaBloPoMo : #4

Like I mentioned yesterday, I'm currently unemployed.

Enter the modern wonder of the PVR.

I fully admit, I'm fascinated by some of the shows on TLC. Like 17 kids....and counting!, courtesy of the Duggars. Have you guys heard of them? I'm fascinated. And totally creeped out. Like, I understand it's your perogative to have offspring and how many and what have you. But Jesus, isn't 17 (and one on the way) just a LITTLE overkill? Not to mention that all 17 kids' names start with the letter "J" and they belong to the "Quiverfull" movement so they're ultra-conservative and all that jazz.

I watched something titled Purity Balls yesterday too. Basically they tote it as a way for daughters/fathers to build a relationship, but, um. Ick. Pledging your viriginity to your father until you're married? And the program mentioned that the youngest girl in attendance was five years old. FIVE. What the HELL does a five year old know about sex to make an educated, informed decision on whether or not she wants to wait until marriage? The whole thing is just icky. ICKY ICKY ICKY.

No comments: