Monday, July 11, 2011

I want to do.... WHAT?

Hi, my name is Sarah and I have now officially crossed the bridge into crazy-bridal-land.

I love clutches. I've been drooling over pictures of pretty clutches for months now. I have one purse, and while it's a good everyday purse in a fun colour (lime green!), I've felt my soul yearning for a slightly more upscale purse for those formal events coming up in my life (um, all two of them, but shhh). And what's more perfect for the girls in the wedding party than a cute clutch they can - unlike their dress (sorry girls! I tried!) - use again after the wedding?

Enter major complication: I can't afford these super cute, adorable clutches for each girl in each wedding party. At $35 times 6 girls, it's just not possible.

Custom Bridesmaids Clutches with Silver Clasp Frames
(see how CUTE these are?!? From etsy seller CreativeThreads)

So I had a hair-brained idea.

Why don't I make the clutches? Like, sew them myself? 

Um...let's file this under "things I would never think of doing until the wedding came along".
(This list includes paying over 500$ for a cake, feeling guilty over having a cash bar, and thinking people will care about the invitations as much as I do, among other things).

The kicker is I don't sew. I mean, I know how, but I don't have a machine or anything. The last piece of sewing I did was my prom dress when I was my boyfriends' date in grade ten. And I spent more time ripping out stitches than I did putting them in. My aunt had to finish the dress for me or else I would have gone naked to prom. No lie.

I'd have to make six clutches (three girls on my side, two on Keith's, and one for myself) and sew them by hand. In less than three months. Oh yeah, this is going to be a piece of cake. Ya-huh.

But how could I resist not at least attempting to make these? They're frigging ADORABLE. And I ... want to.  Despite the fact I don't sew. And I have to make six. I still want to.

Right now my thought is either to (a) make them all in the same fabric pattern on the outside and then lining them with each girls favourite colour, or (b) tailoring each one of them to each girls personality and favourite colours. 

What do you think? Option a or b? 

And, really, the big question: on a scale of one to ten, how crazy is this idea?

1 comment:

Heather said...

I made a coin purse...its the same shape but smaller. The pattern was crazy confusing, but the sewing itself wasnt bad. You can do it!

What about seeing if you can find a fabric you love that comes in lots of different colours?