Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Surgaversary

A year ago today, I was being wheeled into the operating room for an procedure that would rearrange my stomach and intestines in order to lose weight and combat the morbid obesity I found myself trapped in.

It's been a hell of a year. I've learned so much about myself, and about my relationship to food - and, I have to say - I don't regret having this surgery. I don't regret re-learning how to eat and I don't regret not being able to process sugar (okay. most times I don't). I don't regret losing 113 pounds in a year.

Could I have done better? Probably. Do I have more weight to lose? Yes. Am I still learning as I go? Definitely.

But the most important question, I think, is - Am I a happier, healthier person, regardless of what the scale says?

And I can honestly say - I am.

No comments: