Tuesday, September 30, 2008

When it rains, it pours

So I got a(nother) job offer - this one for part-time work. Funny enough, it was the only place I applied for in person; as a cashier for Wal-Ma.rt.

So now I'm debating whether to call the girl back and accept an interview. But my availability has changed since I put in my application, so even thinking about it might not turn out to be anything.

However, I've calculated that I'm available for 34 hours of the week, from 4:30-10pm Mon-Wed and all day on the weekends (which would ideally be 8 hour shifts). So that's more than enough hours to fulfill the part-time requirement, which is anywhere from 12 to 24 hours a week in Canada. Is it the same in other countries?

I'm not going to lie; it'll be really nice to have the extra (extra?) money, especially right now when we're trying to catch up on bills we've let slide over the last few months. And especially in the next few months because we have a few trips and things like Cirque and birthdays and ultimately, gifts to buy as we head into the holiday season. But I've half-decided in my head already that it turns out that I'm only working, say, 12 hours a week or so, then it's not worth it. But if they give me the upper end of the workable hours, then it will be.

Funny how that works.

*PS: going for my tattoo in a couple of hours. check back later for pictures and a full report.*

4 comments:

Heather said...

Is one somewhere you could see a career until you graduate school, over the other one?

How does the money compare if Walmart was as many hours as your current job?

Would you be happier working full time in one environment over the other?

Is one easier on you physically than the other?

sarah said...

Is one somewhere you could see a career until you graduate school, over the other one?
-WM is more flexible, but I'm sure the DE could be tweaked to accomodate. But I'm not thinking that far ahead, tbh. It's kind of a "cross that bridge" thing right now.

How does the money compare if Walmart was as many hours as your current job?
The DE is slightly more (by 50 cents or so). Of course, WM is based on experience & age, but a good starting salary is 9$ (min wage is 8.75$ right now)

Would you be happier working full time in one environment over the other?
I don't know the answer to this until I actually work in the WM environment, right? However, the DE job is pretty sweet. I sit at a computer all day plugged into an mp3 player and enter numbers and don't have to see/deal/talk to anybody other than my coworkers.

Is one easier on you physically than the other?
WM is probably easier on me physically, just because it's a cashier position, and just because I seem to have a high-risk of developing Carpal Tunnel (already having shooting sharp pains down my main typing wrist) in the DE job. But then again, WE is on your feet for the entire shift, and DE isn't.

Did that help at all? :P

dust and kam said...

Hmm.. from personal experience... I think I would stick with your current job if you enjoy it. I have worked at three different Wallys in three different cities as a cashier. I totally hate the way they are run. Maybe it would be different in Canada, but I kinda doubt it. I didn't like their policies (like taking time off - okay you just can't). And I only wanted part time work. I was working two jobs. One 7-3 and then I just wanted WM a few days a week. No. They made me work 5 or 6 days a week. Usually 3-12. I got 36 hours a week making me still part time. 37 hours would be full time and they would have to give me benefits, so they kept me .5-1 hour below. It was ridiculous. I loved the people I worked with and I love the job (except the sore back!!!) but the management and the policies they had to follow were crap. (I worked at Super Target before and LOVED it. I am all for cashiering)

I am sure you would probably have a different experience, I just had to throw my two cents in there.

I hope whatever you do, it work out the best for you.

Heather said...

I dont know, did it help? :P