Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Burning the Midnight Oil

Geesh, I have got to stop leaving my freaking assignments until the last day. However, being able to pull off something like this (it's worth 20% of final mark) in less than 12 hours kinda makes me feel good, lack of sleep notwithstanding. Is that bad? Probably eh?

This one was for Wills & Estates, Part II - where the guy you JUST designed a will and prepared his Estate dies (gee, thanks buddy) and you have to disperse his Estate and so on and so forth. It's divided into 3 categories - 6 precedent letters, 5 forms and 3 documents you have to re-produce by hand. All I have to do is the big monster of a document called the Estate Administration Checklist. It's SEVEN PAGES LONG!

Did you know your law firm does everything for you, right down to cancelling your subscriptions and memberships and arranges to get your locks changed on your house? And calculating the Probate Tax on the Estate is a &$@% to do - the formula here is 5$/1,000 for the first 50,000 and 15$/1,000 for the remainder of the value of the Estate. My Estate came out to 1,585,875 (ohmygosh, if only I were that rich when I croak!!) meaning the fictional client paid twenty two thousand two hundred and eighty-eight dollars and seventeen cents in taxes alone!!

Dying, apparently, is bloody expensive!!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

"the only certainties in life are death and taxes"

Your poor guy got both!

Good work m'dear! Let us know how you go. Sleep tight

<3

KB

Heather said...

Lol, I did my assignment today (the day it was due) so I totally get where you are coming from...it's easier on the last day!