Friday, August 1, 2008

fridayfive #8

Now it's time for the fridayfive!

Of television programs that aired before you were born, what’s your favorite?
God. Um, television before 1987....
What person of historical significance was from your neighborhood or city?
Um. I live in the Nations Capital? Of Canada? The seat of the Federal Government for the whole country?
Not a very fair question but lets just say 24 Sussex Dr. has been the abode of every Prime Minister (except Kim Campbell) since Louis St. Laurent in 1951, and Rideau Hall has been the official residence of the Governor General (Queen's representative; Rideau Hall is also the Queen's official residence in Canada) since 1867.
What’s a story that’s often been told about someone in your family in the years before you came along?
The time my very-proper Grandmother (my dad's mother) was visiting my parents on the farm in St. Paul at the same time my mom's brother was visiting and had gone deer-hunting....I think the story goes that my parents were out and when they walked into the house to the sight of my Uncle and Grandmother gutting out a deer, covered in blood, just going for it.
Which of previous generations’ dumb mistakes (in deed or thought) baffles you the most?
Slavery? Segregation? Thinking the world was flat? That the Earth revolved around the sun? Discrimination against homosexuals? Women not being "persons" under the British North American Act of 1867? People of colour not being allowed to vote until the 1960's in the States? Bushs' decision to invade Iraq on fabricated charges of WMD for oil? All of World War II?
Take your pick. Our world is pretty stupid.
What aspect of life in the good old days would you love to see a return to?
I don't know how to describe it....I guess passion? I'd like to see some sort of passion return to how we view the world, and passion to change it. When you take an idealized view of the 60's-70's, you can see all that passion to change the world, on a mass level. And I think there's really none of that left anymore. We're all just too busy scrambling to get by.

1 comment:

Heather said...

You are so much more historically and politically minded than me. I so dont give a crap about it! Mind you I cant vote here which plays a big part in me not caring who is in power and what they are doing.